- If you are the photographer, cite in-text only. Do not include in the Reference list.
- Under the photograph, write Figure and a number in italics. For example: Figure 1.
- Number figures according to the order they appear in the assignment
- Include a caption, which is a detailed description under the photograph that explains it meaning and context, such as date, people, and location. For example:
- Figure 1. School-aged children playing tag in Edworthy Park, a public park in Calgary, Alberta. November 18, 2016.
- Figure 2. Two 3-year old girls crossing a bridge at Smith Daycare Centre in Calgary, Alberta. June 28, 2016.
- In your writing, refer to the photograph by figure number. For example:
- Figure 1 illustrates how tag is a popular game for school-aged children to play in outdoor settings.
- As demonstrated in Figure 2, young girls often form close friendships in daycare settings.
Example of Figure 2:
Figure 2. Two 3-year old girls crossing a bridge at Smith Daycare Centre in Calgary, Alberta. June 28, 2016.
Note: These guidelines are available on pp. 159-160 of the APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition